Work with Michaela Guzy
STORYTELLING BEYOND BOARDERS. FEARLESS BEYOND REASON.
Michaela Guzy, a former publishing exec left her career behind to begin a journey that has since changed her life and touched others. OhThePeopleYouMeet speaks to the wanderlust in us all and ignites a passion for global connections and sustainable and immersive travel, which are shaping the tourism industry worldwide now more than ever.
DEPARTING CORPORATE AMERICA
Before buzz words like travel video, travel influencers, giving back, community and mindfulness were a “thing”, Michaela Guzy led a very different life. In her prior corporate life, she served as the VP/Global Travel and Strategic Development at American Express Publishing. First, Michaela became uninspired by the lack of in depth content that inspired her to get out and explore. Second, she couldn’t go back to an advertising partner one more time with an ad buy disguised as an integrated package. In 2012, Michaela departed Corporate America, founded OhThePeopleYouMeet (OTPYM). OTPYM is an editorial content site for travelers, foodies and philanthropists seeking authentic local connection everywhere they journey. She packed her bag and took off for sub-saharan Africa by herself for three and a half months. Those first months, Michaela documented stories of interesting people doing inspiring things.
6 YEARS LATER
With Michaela at the helm, OTPYM has grown into a collaborative collective of over 100 contributors across the globe. Watch her video on the first five years and where she sees this all going. OTPYM has even powered the content for sites like SustainableTravel.About.
This fearless, self-made, female entrepreneur is a travel industry, publishing and new media expert with a social good agenda. In addition to setting OTPYM’s editorial strategy she runs OTPYM’s production arm. Michaela is often asked to appear as an industry expert from a three part talking head series for BravoTV’s Tour Group, curating conversations, moderating panels, conducting interactive workshops and giving inspiring keynote presentations for industry partners such as International Luxury Travel Market, WeWork and Soho House’s IMPACT series. Michaela teaches, “Travel Storytelling: Creating Video Content,” for NYU (details below). Read more about how to work with Michaela here.
THE EARLY YEARS
Michaela originally hails from St. Louis, MO where she grew up with her parents and three biological sisters, their fake sister from Ecuador, no less than six rescue dogs and two chickens.
WORK WITH MICHAELA GUZY
MORNING SHOW EXPERT
- Fox45 Baltimore in Maryland to share sustainable travel experiences and how to save on flights this spring and summer.
- CBS2 NYC featured Michaela speaking as an expert on Warm Winter Getaways That Won’t Break The Bank.
- Fox2Now featured Michaela speaking as an expert on Being More Adventurous and Traveling in 2018.
- Good Morning Connecticut featured Michaela speaking as an expert on Holiday Getaways for Every Traveler.
- WPIX 11 featured Michaela speaking about Last Minute Travel Deals for the Holiday Season.
- Good Morning Washington featured Michaela speaking as an expert on the Top 5 Sustainable Travel Summer Trips on the East Coast.
- Good Morning Connecticut featured Michaela speaking as an expert on the Top 5 Sustainable Family Experiences in New England and New York.
- Las Vegas Morning Blend featured Michaela speaking as an expert about Worldwide Travel Destinations That Won’t Break The Bank.
Michaela was featured as a travel and lifestyle expert on BravoTV‘s Tour Group Guide in 2016. Michaela, her insider tips, and video content were shared in three episodes: Kenya, Morocco, and Thailand.
- OTPYM founder Michaela Guzy was featured as a travel expert on CBS 2’s evening news in NYC to discuss getting off the grid to unplug during vacations.
- Glenn Hausmann of heretostay.tv featured Michaela as an expert about Living Local, Globally. Check out her interview here.
- Travel Savvy TV featured Michaela, ranging from her round the world adventures to her own backyard in NYC. Check out: Michaela Guzy’s World Adventures and Michaela Guzy’s Top Unexpected NYC Experiences.
- Michaela Guzy was featured on Houston Life (2KPRC) to discuss her Tips & Tricks for Your Next Immersive Travel Experience.
ORIGINAL VIDEO SERIES:
Executive Producer, Director, Writer & On-Air Talent
Check out examples of our original editorial video series:
- Michaela’s Map:
- OhThePeopleYouMeet extended interview series:
FOUNDER & CHIEF CONTENT CREATOR:
TV TREATMENT DEVELOPMENT: Executive Producer – 5 currently in development
WHITE PAPER/TRENDS FORECASTS: Writer
- 2017 Trends Forecast
- The Millennial Mindset
- New & Noteworthy: Trains, Trends & Towns
- Travel Trends: What’s HOT in Travel Right Now
EVENT SERIES: Screenings & Speaking
- OhThePeopleYouMeet in South Africa: Social Impact & Responsible Travel (April 2017)
- Transformative Travel: Immersive Experiences, Local Connection, Wellness & Sustainability (April 2017)
- Millennial Mindset: Travel as a Lifestyle, Transformation and Community (May 2016)
- Michaela’s Map: How to be a Responsible Traveler in Cambodia (October 2016)
- OhThePeopleYouMeet Presents: Women Making A Difference (October 2017)
- OhThePeopleYouMeet Presents: a Conversation on Conservation in Malawi (November 2017)
- OhThePeopleYouMeet Presents: A private screening of, “Michaela’s Map: Rwanda” followed by a discussion with interviewees from the film (January 2018)
- OhThePeopleYouMeet Presents: A private screening of, ” Michaela’s Map: Los Cabos” followed by a discussion with interviewees from the film and a LIVE cooking demonstration (February 2018). Watch the trailer here.
SPEAKING, CURATING, MODERATING & MCing:
- Bright Young Things: NYC (August 2016)
- ILTM Opening Forum, MC: Cape Town, South Africa (April 2015)
- ILTM Opening Forum, Speaker: Cannes, France (December 2014)
- Bright Young Things workshops in 2011 (Cannes, France), 2012 (Cannes, France), and 2013 (New York, NY)
WHITE PAPERS/TRENDS FORECASTS:
CONFERENCE/WORKSHOP OPENER VIDEOS:
CONFERENCE VIDEO RECAPS:
- Bright Young Things: NYC (August 2016): TO COME
- ILTM Africa (April 2015)
- ILTM Americas Interviews: Riviera Maya, Mexico (September 2014)
EVENT SERIES: Screenings & Speaking
- OhThePeopleYouMeet in Los Cabos, Mexico: Meet the sustainable, local farm and restaurant owner, Chef Enrique, who also produces delicious mezcal. We have short video and cooking demo, and of course toasted with his mezcal (May 2018)
- Millennial Travel Habits: Making & Saving Money on the Road (May 2017)
- The Art of Cuban Culture (May 2017)
- OhThePeopleYouMeet in South Africa: Conservation (May 2017)
- Creative Solutions: Human Trafficking (April 2017)
- Blue Movement: Connecting People to our Oceans (October 2016)
New York University’s Stern School of Hospitality had Michaela as a guest professor during the Fall 2016 semester and invited her back in Spring 2018 to teach a course titled, “Travel Storytelling: Creating Video Content” for NYU’s School of Professional Studies.
The spring course included interactive conversations with 17 industry experts including: Animal Planet, Samsung, Moxie Pictures, Film Rise, Skift, Meredith Corporation, AnderImage, The Ad Council, Switzerland Tourism, AFAR, Influencers, LIT VR, Fifth Color Films, Brandman PR, The Travel Curator and The United Nations.
In June 2018, Michaela will be back to teach the course and is curating panels of industry experts to discuss: The Art of Storytelling, Messages That Resonate & Getting Distributed, Advertising Deep Dive & Working with Influencers, Tips & Tricks while Filming on the Road, The Future of Digital Content and Strategic Partnerships.
Call Noncredit Student Services @212-998-7150 and mention “OTPYM” to receive a special 10% discount.
MICHAELA’S ONE SHEET
Learn more about Michaela, OhThePeopleYouMeet, our editorial work, marketing videos and more- all in this one sheet.
YOU CAN TOO: MICHAELA’S HOW TO
Check out Michaela’s first online course, “Storytelling that Resonates with The Millennial Mindset,” with gen|connect|u to learn how to tell stories and utilize videos and influencers. Use OTPYM50 for 50% your digital storytelling course. Click below to learn more:
Trusted travel, lifestyle, social impact & new media authority
- GDA Speaker Profile
- Speakers Boutique Profile
- TBEX North America, Finger Lakes, NY (September 2018)
- United Nation’s Global Festival Of Action (March 2018)
- Africa Travel Association, Kigali, Rwanda (August 2017)
- “The Evolution of Online Travel Potential”
- “The Business of Conservation”
- “What’s Your Sustainable Travel IQ?”
- NY TravFest, NYC, NY (April 2017)
- “Responsible Travel in South Africa”
- Beekman Gallery, NYC, NY (October 2016)
- “Love is a Human Right, Fighting Human Trafficking”
CONTRIBUTOR & FEATURED IN
- American Airlines in-flight, Animal Planet’s social channels, Barclay’s Bank Travel, BravoTV.com, Clean Plates Collective, Conde Nast Traveller, Everett Potter, Forbes, Highways Magazine, Hipmunk, Johnny Jet, National Geographic Traveler, Peter Greenberg (CBS), Recommend, Thrive Global,Tale A Guest, Tripsavvy (formerly About.com), Style Verify, Virtuoso Life.
- Collectively– A pioneering influencer marketing agency connecting brands with the most creative voices in social media.
- Samsonite + #WorkNotWork campaign